The institution’s activities focus on three complementary fields:
3. technical cooperation
- A large amount of the scientific knowledge generated in today’s world either does not respond to regional problems or its results cannot be directly translated into local needs.
- In response to the above our aim is to lead and promote programmes and projects for research, translation and implementation of health and clinical interventions, generating scientific and epidemiological knowledge at a national and regional level. Our objective is not limited to generating knowledge; we also promote its use to reduce the breach between the production of scientific knowledge and health policy.
- IECS carries out clinical and epidemiological research as well as economics evaluation, systematic reviews, qualitative studies and questionnaire validation at health centres.
- The fields in which IECS actively develops research projects include: health technology assessment, economics evaluation, translation and implementation in mother and child health interventions, chronic disease (cardiovascular disease) and transmissible diseases (Chagas, tuberculosis).
- IECS is devoted to professional training in research, management, administration and health policies by means of courses and seminars.
- Said training includes professors from the School of Public Health of Harvard University and other world-renowned universities.
- A good many of our medical professionals are in the faculty of the Clinical Effectiveness Programme (Programa de Efectividad Clínica or PEC), a master’s programme of the School of Medicine of Buenos Aires University (Universidad de Buenos Aires or UBA) which offers necessary tools and methodology for the design, implementation and evaluation of health programmes and policies and to carry out clinical and epidemiological research projects.
- By means of close collaboration with public agencies, non-governmental organisations and private institutions, IECS seeks to offer tools for the identification of strategies to help improve accessibility as well as quality of medical attention, promoting and supporting the implementation of effective policies and interventions on the basis of the best scientific evidence available.
- We also provide institutions and governments from different countries with technical support in the institution’s fields of expertise.